Snow Day Open Thread

Brent Finnegan -- March 2nd, 2009

You know the drill. Someone has already added several snowy pics to the Flickr pool.

7 Responses to “Snow Day Open Thread”

1. Having spent much of my childhood in the county, where main county roads are usually cleared overnight, I’m still surprised at how few roads are cleared in the city. At 8:30, Main Street still wasn’t plowed. Cars slipping around, struggling to gain traction at green lights, etc.

2. Bubby says:

Bubby’s Snowblower Service is back! We move the snow so that you can go! Discounts for Liberals.

3. Anne Lorimer says:

They’re plowing the Health & Human Services lot right now.

4. Anne Lorimer says:

I mean, someone is. (Orange 590 Turbo operated by stocky person in uniform.) I assume it’s the city, not Bubby.

Brent, I agree. I was up late last night and the plows came through twice when there was less than half inch on the streets – they must’ve told the drivers to go home or something becase no more plows had come through at 7am this morning. I was really surprised they did a poor job, especially since it wasn’t icy or anything – that snow could’ve been cleared much earlier than it was.

Wondering how much the city saves on a snow day – cost of plows and lost time vs cost of everything being open.

I didn’t attempt to go anywhere until noon today and there were still uncleared roads on my way home at 2:00.

7. Bubby says:

Whether it be the flinty toughness of locals who shovel their own snowy driveways, or the thrifty Mennonite sensibility unwilling to buy…business has not been good. Clearly America’s better days are behind me!