broken windows, stolen goods

Brent Finnegan -- April 13th, 2009

This afternoon, the HPD announced a recent increase in reports for thefts from vehicles, “where a vehicle window was also broken.”

Since April 1, there have been approximately 10 incidents, where a victim reported the window of their vehicle was broken and items were stolen. Items such as electronics, money, pocketbooks, credit cards, and checks are all things that have been taken from the vehicles.

Police are urging Harrisonburg residents not to leave valuables in their cars.

9 Responses to “broken windows, stolen goods”

Maybe I’m just paranoid (and grew up in a more populated town), but I try to never leave electronics out in my car! I even hate when I have to leave my laptop in there, covered up with something on the back seat floor.

I can’t believe when I see people’s iPods on their dash.

My XM radio is usually visible through the window, but it’s an old cheap model and looks it, so I’m not sure anyone would go after that. Unfortunately, my vehicle would be very easy to break into because of its age.

I used to take the face plate off of my installed MP3/CD player when I had to park in certain places, though it’s not desirable these days, so I don’t worry about it.

2. Marty says:

Is there a general area where this is occurring?

3. Marty, from the HPD’s “Noteworthy Report” just sent out a few minutes ago:

Theft from Motor Vehicle
    4/12-13/2009 8:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
    200 block of Park Place
    A female said an unknown person took items from her vehicle.

Theft from Motor Vehicle
    4/12/2009 10:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
    200 block of East Bruce Street
    A male said an unknown person took items from his vehicle.

Theft from Motor Vehicle
    4/13/2009 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
    1000 block of Virginia Avenue
    A female said an unknown person took items from her vehicle.

Theft from Motor Vehicle
    4/12-13/2009 8:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
    300 block of North High Street
    Three females said an unknown person took items from their vehicles.

4. seth says:

my roomate had some things taken out of his unlocked car on collicello a week and a half ago. it seems like a lot of this is centered around that area. we’ve also had some alleged gang graffiti showing up in the alley between collicello and high. last week, i saw the police stop four young males (one was a minor) in front of our house and deal with them as if they thought they might be gang members, which i found ridiculous until the kids came walking down the street chanting in unison after the police had left.

i think we can do a lot to prevent this sort of thing just by being vigilant neighbors and citizens. next time i see a group of kids walking down our street late at night, i’ll definitely be aware of what they’re up to. i feel like some well taken pictures and outwardly evident demonstrations that this kind of thing is unacceptable could go a long way.

5. Marty says:

Thanks, Brent. Much appreciated.

6. Dan Easley says:

I have a surefire security system for my car – I never wash it, happily watch the clearcoating flake off in the wind, and repair all rust holes with duct tape. Never had anyone steal anything out of it yet.

I’m not sure if the Water Street deck is having the same problems, but the deck by Kline’s was becomming an unpleasant place to park. Some of my former co-workers had drinks thrown on their car, then one had her gas door broken and a bag of trash left on her trunk. Not quite the same thing, but stuff like that often escalates.

I always lock my car and try to never leave anything of value in it. It’s just too much temptation for some people.