Frank to undo Goodlatte’s online gambling ban?

Brent Finnegan -- May 5th, 2009

In Internetland, our congressman, Bob Goodlatte, is perhaps most well-known for his stance against online gambling. This week, Rep. Barney Frank hopes to repeal some of the restrictions that Goodlatte helped place on internet casinos.

PCmag.com reports:

Rep. Barney Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat, plans to introduce a bill on Wednesday that would establish a framework for legal, Internet-based gambling in the United States.

Current law prohibits U.S. banks and credit card companies from processing bets placed on e-gambling Web sites.

Frank said his bill will include “significant consumer protections” including safeguards to prevent underage and compulsive gambling, money laundering, identity theft, and fraud …

Congress debated the e-gambling issue for years before Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., in 2006 inserted last-minute language into an unrelated security bill that made it illegal for banks and credit-card companies to process online bets. President Bush signed it into law in October 2006, and companies have until December 1, 2009 to comply.

The political power balance on Capitol Hill has changed quite a bit since October, 2006. Could Frank — who, according to opensecrets.org, has received $42,900 in campaign contributions from the gambling industry — use the growing Democratic majority to undo Goodlatte’s ban?

Tags: ,

34 Responses to “Frank to undo Goodlatte’s online gambling ban?”

1. BANDIT says:

I don’t think online gambling is a good idea…it would be to easy to loose all your money.
    Speaking of politics, is anyone going to run against June hosaflook or Jeff Shaffer this year? I haven’t heard a word about anyone running yet….why have local Republican and Democratic parties if your not gonna get involved in local elections????

2. Bill says:

I think online betting is a terrible idea. People can’t even manage their personal credit. I know that sounds like a “nanny-state” approach, but government does have some responsibility in certain social arenas- gambling being one.

3. Republitarian says:

June and Jeff do a great job….why put up someone just to put up someone? Is there someone locally who is “owed” a job because they’ve paid their dues to the party?

4. I don’t think online betting is such a terrible idea. It is business, and of course, only those who can play it, they should. But, every sports have gambling and bets. I think gambling helps a lot to raise funds from sporting events and others.

5. BANDIT says:

Republitarian, Tell them how your gamble was on “button Applicators” and it is not up to you to decide how someone is doing in elected office, it’s up to the voters.

6. BANDIT says:

It is a fact that the City Treasurer’s collection rate has dropped since Jeff took office…so, wouldn’t you want someone in there that could keep the numbers up?

7. Republitarian says:

Our “button applicators” will sell just fine once the economy turns around. Until then, we will simply sit on the inventory we have….like most other people have to do when things go south. They are selling, just not as fast as we’d hoped….but you could say that about almost anything right now.

“The collection rate has dropped”. Define implied causation and source your claim please.

9. BANDIT says:

DNR

10. megan says:

Well that clears it up.

I wonder if collection rates are down everywhere due to the economy and or if this is unique (if true) to Harrisonburg.

“Well that clears it up.”

This is, so far, my favorite blog comment of 2009.

12. BANDIT says:

megan and Miller,
    Don”t take the DNR’s word for it, call the treasurer’s office and ask… and while your at it, ask how aggressively Jeff is pursuing them.

13. megan says:

“Don”t take the DNR’s word for it…”

I might if you would provide a link. But I don’t think this has much to do with Frank and Goodlatte.

I don’t think it’s very bright to gamble online (or in real life) but I don’t know why it should be the government’s concern if someone want’s to throw money down a rat hole. I don’t see how it’s any different than buying lottery tickets. What am I missing?

14. BANDIT says:

megan, since there are not many others commenting on this thread, it shouldn’t matter that we have changed the subject, at least the blog is getting some action… or the moderators could start a thread on this subject.
    The economy in Harrisonburg has not been affected that much compared to other areas in the U.S. So, your comment on “due to the economy” is not the MAIN reason.

OK, I’ll bite. What is the difference between collection rates in the eighth to tenth year of Neal’s term and the (almost) first of Shafer’s and (assuming the years can be reasonably compared without considering length of service, economic conditions, tax rates, or where we are in the fiscal year) what explains the difference?

16. Republitarian says:

How do we know Neal wasn’t cooking the tax collections records to make herself look good?

“Me and God”…..

I don’t think we should compare convicted felons to good upstanding citizens like Jeff…..

17. Republitarian says:

Joe, do you think her husband Benny knew what she was doing when she seemed to always be able to pay the bills even though he always seemed to be going broke running yet another “successful” business?

Myron,

All due respect, I’m not debating this one with the usual suspects. This is between me and BANDWIDTH.

(Notice: after a recent folderol with a group I’m affiliated with, I was reminded once again of the importance of putting up a BIG RED FLAG when making comments that should be too outrageous to be taken at face value, but are anyway. I’m reminded of it again here.)

19. BANDIT says:

Fitzgerald, it would be easy enough to compare apples to apples. If you want to see first year figures, go back to Neal’s first year collections, and compare personal and real collections. I don’t see where that is necessary however, collection processes were in place when he took office. Either he has continued the procedures … or hey here’s an idea … added new ones to ramp it up a bit. I want the best person on the office. Something that is never talked about is he is up for re-election in November. I am asking .. does he deserve the job, or should we get someone with some collections or financial background in there? He may be nice, but can he do the job???

BANDWIDTH, I’m asking you. What are those rates you keep referring to? How far up or down are they? What’s the normal swing from year to year? What do the differences mean? Besides the rates, how much money is involved? Asking can he do the job is like asking if a blogger can write. One needs a thesis statement and evidence to support it. Are you suggesting there is a major difference between last year and this? Do you have any idea? The insinuation needs to be backed by facts. Do you have some, or are you formally requesting that someone find them for you? Are you suggesting you will run for the position? If so, will you do so under the name BANDWIDTH?

21. BANDIT says:

City Manager (Kurt), played it down a couple of weeks ago, on Middays with Jim Britt but, did say some numbers are down. Then , the DNR ran a story titled “tax collections are down” or close to that. So, not having exact figures in front of me…tax collection rates are down, DON’T YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH? A full report should be issued to the public, then we all can see HOW MUCH…have a good day!

Yes, BANDWIDTH, I would love to know all that. So, tell me. Stop covering it up. Seek out the report you describe. Publicize it in an appropriate fashion. And tell us what you think it means. Cite evidence. Give numbers. Tell us what phrasing Kurt Hodgen used to try to play it down. And have a good day yourself. I hope you can find the numbers you seek and end this disgraceful … uh, whatever it is.

23. megan says:

I found the DNR article and have emailed Jeff with some questions. I’m not sure sure if the email is still good as it was his campaign email. I’ll do a post if I can gather enough information.

24. BANDIT says:

Fitzgerald, I am not covering up .. just the opposite. You asked if I am planning on running … no. However, I know the Democrats are courting a few good people to get a qualified candidate.

Megan, if anyone can get the facts … you can. Thank you for digging. I think the voters in H’burg have the rare opportunity to evaluate the newly elected treasurer and the job he is doing. Rather than waiting until he is in for 4 years, and decide that he is not the person for the job. In these hard economic times, a person with a strong collection background would be very beneficial in that position.

Once again, I just want the most qualified person in that position. A man with a music degree and a little bit of experience in another government office doesn’t fill the bill.

25. Republitarian says:

I think you should run Bandit! You have just as good as shot any!

26. BANDIT says:

The City Website has his current email.

27. megan says:

Thank you Bandit; email sent.

I just wonder if you know the difference between collection rate and delinquent rate. Are you implying that Jeff is not collecting on debts owed or just that sales tax is down because sales are down. I’ve read this entire feed and can’t find your answer to these questions, please state them.

29. BANDIT says:

Miller … tax collection rate (personal & real).

30. BANDIT says:

…if you get no cooperation, a FOIA may be necessary.

31. megan says:

Jeff sent me a very nice email. I’ll have a post up covering what I learned and my thoughts on it later.

Now, maybe we could give Finnegan his thread back?

Never mind, this is fruitless

33. BANDIT says:

Maybe online lottery…by by…….