RNC Hires Valley Field Rep

Brent Finnegan -- May 19th, 2009

The Republican National Committee has hired a field representative for the Shenandoah Valley, headquartered in Harrisonburg. According to his own blog, Valley GOP activist and blogger Craig Orndorff accepted a position working for the RNC earlier this spring.

… I will be responsible for motivating voters for the Republican ticket and mobilizing the grassroots volunteers to do so … my focus is on electing our entire Republican team in the Valley, and I hope to bring you a unique perspective on that during the coming weeks and months.

This news was picked up on Coarse Cracked Corn earlier this month.

37 Responses to “RNC Hires Valley Field Rep”

1. I for one am happy to hear that Commandante Steele is funding a local franchise of his brand of Republicanism! Wonder how the RPV feels about hitching their wagon to Steele? Oh, that’s right, who cares?

I don’t find his dialogue appropriate for day to day much less public life

He used this words to describe his opponents in the upcoming races, from his twitter posts

“McAuliffe raises money in California. Moran gets endorsements from Rhode Island. Does Creigh Deeds buy his clothes in West Virginia? 5 days ago”

interpretation:
    McAuliffe is a California Liberal circa 1980 RNC political trash talk, Rhode Island! Holy Yankee Doodle Dandy, Creigh Deeds has bad taste, that one is just mean or judgmental. Who is this guy?

I don’t find his dialogue appropriate for day to day much less public life

He used these words to describe his opponents in the upcoming races, from his twitter posts

interpretation:

4. And Todd Gilbert sprung forth from the swampy flatlands of Jasper County Texas…what’s his little Jasper’s point?

Exactly, this type of name calling only spurns further breakdown in dialogue.

sorry but also garnered the following
    “http://twurl.nl/douwwb Interesting thoughts on the GOP road back. The problem is emphasis, not principles.”

That’s exactly the right approach! Don’t bother adapting your principles to mach those of the people who will vote you in, just sell your bs harder!

Read my lips, repeal the car tax.

If republicans were smart, they’d find someone that can converse with people the way Obama does instead of hiring any black man (sorry, I really think they made Steele RNC chair because he is black) to lead their party, and they’d find a young person with new fresh ideas that is willing to listen & communicate to attract young people (who I’m sure they saw flocking to Obama’s camp last year) instead of a 22-year-old that happens to know how to use blogs and twitter and says unnecessarily inflammatory things which aim to divide.

You want minorities and independent-minded young people to check out your party? Find someone LIKE Obama and the people that voted for him, not someone that just LOOKS like them.

I know that was a total rant, by the way, but it’s how I feel when I see these people being selected by Republicans that are doing them no good in terms of bringing in new voters, even though they ‘look the part’.

Naw, that wasn’t a total rant. Total rant would be if we all got started talking about the headline on the DNR lead editorial today. Over the top, or perhaps under the bottom, even for them.

Ugh, I stopped reading the editorials long ago for exactly that reason. Horrible!!

It frustrates me to no end that there is no author name on the editorials! Does that mean the whole editorial staff all signs off on these??

And I saw most of that Notre Dame speech and thought he handled it really well. I also liked what the priest that introduced him had to say.

That’s because he did handle it brilliantly, like he usually does. Steele’s a joke, I really believe that literally. This poor field agent. What can he do? Will he mobilize his base by promising that things will be different this time? Can he tell people that their representatives are somehow morally superior to their D counterpart because they hide behind the flag and cross instead of speaking ADULT? Can he promise personal responsibility legislation that is typically against the targeted voter’s self-interest (yes!)? Can he rally grassroots volunteers by using RNC funds that have come from the mega-rich? Does that count? Can he tell voters that D’s are becoming Socialists? Turns out that more people like the idea of Socialism than associate themselves as Republicans, maybe they could change their own name instead. Can poor Mr. Orndorff promise that his party won’t be the party of NO for long because as soon as they regain their power, then they’ll end the war that they started, balance the budget that they ruined, rein in the military industrial complex that they worship, re-regulate Wall Street by ending their extra marital affairs with corporations, retool and green our economy without using a big government to do so if there is still one left to retool? I doubt that those are their goals. Maybe they’ll just use Mr. Orndorff to see what shit that they throw at the Valley wall is sticking.

Perhaps I crossed a similar rant line somewhere along there

15. Karl says:

Maybe it’s the native Marylander in me, but you guys couldn’t be more wrong about Steele. He’s been in politics longer than his so called look alike. so let’s cut the BS that he’s just a Johnny come lately. As a Republican Lt. Governor in Maryland (a strong Democratic state) won respect on both sides of the aisle. Everything about Steele makes sense to me, the extremists controlling the party undermining him does not.

You’re right about the extremists controlling his party. Perhaps its just me but I don’t see him as wise. I see him as a man who allows his tongue to run away from himself. Most recently, insinuating that Gay Marriage is negative because it would force small business employers to provide health benefits to new found legal partners of their employees. Major BS, just ask the wedding industry if it would be bad for them. Anyone of color (or not for that matter) proposing separate but equal is a fool.

I’d like to see the R’s court my vote. A sincere courtship in which they actually took my values of limited government (for starters not telling people whom they can and whom they cannot marry) and applied them to their principles. Prove to me that the elected R’s will vote in a manner in which they campaign, and they might get me in 2016. Since that is sincerely unlikely I wish Mr. Orndorff a edifying uphill battle.

Karl, my comments come more from the media perception of Steele (and the Republican pitting of him vs. Limbaugh, basically undermining whatever power they intended it to be perceived he had) which makes him look like someone they wanted in the spotlight for looks rather than as a viable leader.

19. Michael Steele has been the star of his own fiction since the beginning. These stunts and falsehoods are who he is. When he ran for the US Senate in 2006 (and was banged like a gong by like +10%) he claimed that Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer called him a “slave”…but he didn’t. That Barack Obama was the lone AA to campaign against him…but he wasn’t. And even put up signs, “Steele Democrat”. He is a nut-job with delusions – perfect guy to run the RNC circus.

Steele is to African Americans what Sarah Palin was to women; an incompetent fabulist packaged to look like the real thing. Monsterously ambitious, they both spring from the cynical cancerous core of the Republican Party. Inflatable Ken and Inflatable Barbie.

20. seth says:

in that case,
    calling him ‘any black man’ borders on not being so open minded.

Not in my view. In my view it refers to the theory that he was chosen for his position via token. It judges those who would chose such a token, not those who call them out for doing so.

22. seth says:

i wasn’t referring to classification in and of itself, but rather it’s use in conjunction with statements like this:

‘I’ll admit I don’t know much about Steele, only what I’ve seen in terms of news interviews.’

23. seth says:

and i’m perenially weary of the ‘token theory.’ it’s one of those things that seems well and good in theory, but problematic when you begin discussing real people.

maybe we’d do better to call him an uncle tom?

Grammar rules: “token” refers to a racially-based decision taken by the people filling a position so that they may claim to have at least X members from the token group; “Uncle Tom” is a classification bestowed based on a complete misreading of the Harriet Beecher Stowe novel.

Hope this helps.

25. Lowell says:

Shows a difference in thought processes Seth.

We run Hillary Clinton so the other side has this conversation:

“Hey Democrats got them a woman candidate what people seems tuh lak.
    Git us a woman candidate! Make it a purty one what laks huntin and shootin and drillin!”

We run Barack Obama so the conversation on the other side goes…. never mind.
    It speaks for itself….

26. seth says:

so you think of token more as a progressive way to frame affirmative action as a negative thing and uncle tom as a patently ridiculous thing to call someone who may not fit the stereotypical frame of their race?

(not sure it’s actually grammar being as they’re both rather ditasteful nouns in my reading)

point is, i’m there are legitimate points where folks on both sides of the aisle take issue with steele. acknowledging you’re unaware of these and then using subtext (or not) to suggest that he is where he is because of the color of his skin is…..

not what i’d expect.

27. Lowell says:

What comments are you addressing Seth?

28. seth says:

lowell,
    politics is politics on both sides. believing that high ranking positions being filled by minorities in the republican party is simply the result of some need to pander to those minorities is what illustrates a difference in thought processes.

Affirmative action: if there are two or more equally qualified candidates for a position, and one of them is a member of an under-represented group, then let said membership be the deciding factor. That’s a long way from tokenism, although affirmative action is often seen differently by white males who long for the days when they automatically got such positions, and assume anyone else is less qualified.

30. Lowell says:

Not a matter of belief Seth, simply a recognition of sad reality.

31. seth says:

what’s sad is that you guys really seem to think you’re open minded.

I wasn’t putting down Steele himself and his past history, since I don’t know it, which is why I clarified I only know him from TV interviews (which is how most people know most politicians) – I was putting down his performance as RNC chair, especially the Republicans’ perceived (lack of) backing of him. He has not seemed in public to represent what the R party said they selected him for.

Also, when he said something negative about Rush L., many Republicans seemed to pit them against one another and side with Rush, showing that there wasn’t a whole lot of party-member support for Steele in the first place, making one wonder why they chose him.

The Steele-Palin comparison is just what I was thinking. I truly believe the Republicans picked Palin because she was a woman, and they would’ve picked any seemingly-competent woman (look how little they knew about her when she was chosen, and she was in the middle of a legal battle), and they believed they could get some disappointed Hillary voters to switch sides because of how she appeared. A lot of politics has to do with initial perceptions.

When a party only half-backs the things that their chosen leader says, it makes you wonder why they put him in that position in the first place. I wouldn’t be saying these things if their chosen leader was a strong one with obvious party support, great public presence, and someone they appeared proud of selecting, and happened to be black. Because of my impression of how the GOP has treated Steele, I feel they selected him mainly because of his skin color, hoping to win over some minority supporters.

Think about it – why was Iowa’s choice of Barack Obama in the primary so surprising to the country? It sure wasn’t the African-American population that swayed the vote there!

And I don’t know any black people would’ve voted for Obama if he was incompetent, so it’s not just the color of a person’s skin that matters to minority voters. They shouldn’t confuse the pride that people in the black community have that an African-American was elected president with the notion that his skin color is the only reason minorities voted for him.

And with their selection of this young blogger Orndorff locally. Seeing what he is already using his official capacity to say, he is not going to win them over any new independent-minded young voters, and they shouldn’t think young people will immediately resonate with him since he’s young and has a strong online presence.

Someone in the R party needs to explain to whoever makes these selections that it’s the SUBSTANCE of the person, and their ability to talk to people ‘for real’ and not in political-speak that new voters are likely to form their opinion on.

And by the way Seth, my opinion that the Republicans selected Steele because he was black wasn’t formed until after I heard him talk several times and heard things the Republicans had to say about him. Like I said, I don’t have this opinion just because they selected a leader that happens to be black. Just like I didn’t believe they picked Palin because she was a woman until I saw more of her and realized she was such a horrible choice, and there was seemingly no other reason to have picked her.

34. I suspect that this Orndorff boy is sort of like Steele or Palin – celebrating their great good fortune to have finally been recognized for their brilliance and rewarded with the position they deserve. A whole book was written about it 40 years ago – The Peter Principle.

Steele had previously been chair of the Maryland Republicans, so when the national Republican Party committed themselves to becoming a xenophobic white mensclub they elevated Michael Steele for plausible deniability. They didn’t figure on his confident ambition – he fired the staff and remade the Committee organization in his own dysfunctional loopy style. He attacked Lord Limbaugh! The Republicans were looking for outside-the-box, and they got off-the-reservation-and-not-taking-any-calls.

Republicans worship authority, hierarchy, and obedience and tend to promote the good disciples. That’s how we got Michael Brown the horseshow lawyer running FEMA. That’s how Valley Republicans were gifted field rep. Orndorff by the RNC.

It could work out for them. The Valley is the last citadel of reliable Republican wingnuttery. Jim Gilmore proved that if you put an “R” in front of your name, join “no”, a noun and the word “tax” on a bumpersticker a majority of people will vote against the better candidate. Valley Republicans will solemnly tell you that if only Palin had headed the presidential ticket… These are people that voted down a meals tax on tourists in favor of raising their property taxes. So Orndorff may gain traction with his claim that Creigh Deeds is suspected of dressing like a West Virginian.

“what’s sad is that you guys really seem to think you’re open minded.”

This isn’t an argument or point to bring up, it’s just a way to discredit your opponent’s argument or point by attacking their humanity.

36. seth says:

miller,
    if you ever seriously consider voting against party lines because the other guy’s candidate is the better choice, let me know.

the statement wasn’t meant to be an attack on anyone’s humanity. it was meant to point out the absurdity of the line of thinking that seems to say ‘dems use minorities to provide valuable diversity while republicans just use them.’ (not to put words in anyone’s mouth, but that really is what this sounded like).

or more simply put, if you’re really convinced that your side is the good guys and the other side is evil and bumbling incompetents, you could probably stand to reconsider your impartiality/ability to objectively find truth.

Seth

I don’t ever vote along party lines, that would be against my values. I still misunderstand your statement about open mindedness. Sorry but feel free to elaborate. I thought that you meant that when JG described the actual definition of Affirmative Action, you considered it to be a cop out. Of which I did not.