4th of July Open Thread

Emmy -- July 4th, 2009

Thought it might be nice to hear how everyone is celebrating our independence on this fine day. Where are you going to watch fireworks? What are you eating?

17 Responses to “4th of July Open Thread”

The parade downtown of course. Fun for all ages and then party with The Rocktown Rollers!

2. Went on the downtown walking tour, then we’re going to watch fireworks tonight. Will the downtown ones be worth going to, or should we opt for Gypsy Hill?

Yeah, Downtown Fireworks should be great!

The closing band and fireworks were great downtown last year, I was impressed!

Only problem I’ve noticed in the past is they seem to have trouble synching the music with the fireworks and people didn’t know they were over because the dramatic music continued and made it anti-climactic :)

But overall, yeah, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Harrisonburg Downtown 4th before.

5. Emo Boy says:

Gene in the parade.

By the way, that is not me talking in the video, it was sent to me.

We had a great time downtown this evening. My oldest climbed the rock wall, and my youngest tried to dunk the mayor. We had dinner on the Taratsa at Dave’s and the fireworks were great!

7. TM says:

Watched the fireworks from Calhoun’s roof.
    Good crowd. Kids’ reactions are the best.
    Apparently there was some sort of reduction in services this year? I didn’t notice. Great job, HDR.

8. TM says:

Oh yeah, I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Gene or Matt, but we missed the parade. Didn’t show up ’til 9 or so. All I saw were campaign workers.

9. Brooke says:

We went downtown for the parade, which was short, but fun. Then we went to some friends’ for their yearly shindig, and came back just in time for the fireworks. Thought we’d be able to see them from the front porch of our house on Mason. We could *just* see them over the tree line. Kids had fun, but next year we’ll go downtown to see them even better.

I didn’t notice the reduction in fireworks either.

11. Delataire says:

It was nice that the rain held off until today.

Wanted to point out Emmy’s great set of parade photos in the homepage sidebar.

13. Brooke says:

I posted some pics on my Flickr account (I made them public so everyone could see them):

14. Brooke says:

(And I apologize in advance for all the random family pics…they were part of our day. LOL)

15. Delataire says:

Thank you for sharing Brooke.

16. Brooke says:

You’re welcome!

17. Jamie Smith says:

The fireworks upset my chickens a little bit but they calmed down today and produced some litter, but no eggs!