hburgnews Photography Project

Brent Finnegan -- July 27th, 2009

coffeeRemember when I wrote that we had some projects in the works that we will need your help with? Well, this is one of them.

We want to photograph everything in Harrisonburg for use in future hburgnews stories. Think of the hburgnews Flickr group like a local stock photography pool.

Here’s how you can help:

1. Take pictures of your neighborhood, your park, your favorite local restaurant, your least favorite intersection, and basically anything else you can think of in the Harrisonburg-Rockingham area (provided it’s not violating any privacy laws or Flickr’s TOS).

2. Upload the pictures to Flickr. Standard accounts are free. Why Flickr? Because Josh started the group in early 2007, and it’s been growing ever since.

3. Tag your photos with the words “Harrisonburg” and “hburgnews” and add your local pics to the hburgnews group pool. Here’s how.

When we need a picture of something, we may end up using your photo in the story. If we do, we’ll give you credit and a link. For examples of how this works, check NPR’s Planet Money blog.

I’ve already started. This project runs from now through the end of the year.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “hburgnews Photography Project”

Great idea! I’ll definitely contribute more photos soon.

2. Mike says:

I joined Twitter just so I could contribute :)

3. Lisa Oates says:

Sweet idea! I’ll try to bring my camera with me everywhere I go.

I already carry my camera in my purse all the time. I’ll try to remember to shoot everything.

5. Thanh says:

I enjoy the hburgnews flickr pool. There are a lot of cool things in the community and I enjoy the pictures taken – a way to share experiences I guess.

One suggestion I have is that if possible, when users upload their pictures that they try to add a description of the picture in the title, description or tags field so that the picture is searchable. (ex. bicycles, bikes, market, farm, silo, etc.) I think most, if not everyone who’s posted is doing that, but I thought I’d share anyway.

Several shots just added of — surprise! — local and state Democrats.

7. linz says:

Love this idea!

8. Jeff says:

I added some old photos from the Tour of Virginia bicycle race in 2007… probably of no interest, but what the heck.