DT56 building to become chop house

Brent Finnegan -- August 10th, 2009

Rumors have been floating for about a month, and TV3 recently reported that downtown restaurant veteran Craig Moore is turning the former Downtown 56 (current City Exchange) building into a chophouse, serving up locally-raised meat and produce.

… Items on the menu will range from $6 to $20 but Moore hesitates to call his restaurant “upscale.” … The opening date for Local Chop and Grill House is September 15.

14 Responses to “DT56 building to become chop house”

Hm neato.

2. Emo Boy says:

That’s only a block away, I may have to try it out.

I never made it to Downtown 56 and it’s unlikely I’ll make it here either, but I wish them much success and I’m glad someone will be using the space.

4. Bill says:

Knowing Craig, I’m sure he will do a great job. Harrisonburg really does need a good “chop house”- the only good steak is at the Blue Stone Inn presently.

5. Joey Groah says:

My wife and I were excited to hear about Local Chop and Grill House. Downtown continues to develop great dining options. Looking forward to giving it a try.

6. LAB says:

Hmm…I wonder if Sysco is considered ‘local’

7. Mike says:

“Sysco considered local”

– I wonder that when I drive by the Fruit/Veg stand on 33 west of Elkton. Huge sign announcing “Local Produce and Watermelons” with a giant Sysco trailer behind their stand. Makes me chuckle every time I ride by.

I thoought that Sysco leased out refrigeration equipment not encompassed by their other operations, like Wampler used to do.

9. Ashley says:

Soft bar opening tonight – it was awesome! Fresh, delicious food. Servers that know what’s going on. Duck fat. Get excited, folks!

10. Joey Groah says:

Sounds great Ashley. Is there a menu posted online? In the bar?

11. Callie says:

I just want to point out that though the article mentions the opening date being September 15th they are not officially up and running at this point. The soft openings are next week I think? I do have to say (though admittedly I am biased) that what I have tasted so far exceeds expectations and will be well worth a special trip.

12. Lisa says:

Just posted Alexis’ insights on the soft opening on the Ask Eddie blog: http://wp.me/pfUPI-by.

I’m excited about having vegetarian options. I’ve been told the bar menu has a chickpea burger and a four onion risotto with fresh Parmesan, among others. The last two d.t. restaurants to open, Jack Brown’s and the Caribbean place next to Urban Exchange, have NOTHING.