Phishy Text Messages

Brent Finnegan -- October 13th, 2009

Have you recently received a phishy text message from “your bank?” WSVA reports on a scam that affected some Park View customers:

Park View Federal Credit Union reports members and others have been receiving fraudulent automated text messages designed to steal debit and credit card numbers . . . The credit union stresses that no PVFCU member information has been accessed as a result of the scam.

15 Responses to “Phishy Text Messages”

1. Josh says:

I received the following text and I’m not even a PV FCU customer:

From <Unknown>

This is an automated message from Park View FCU. Your ATM card has been suspended. To reactivate call urgent at 18775711798.

Sun Oct 11, 09
    12:35pm

2. Odd. Spambots must’ve just texted any local numbers they had.

3. Bell says:

I got one too.

Weird. I am a PVFCU customer and I haven’t received one. I think it was just a shot in the dark. I love banking with them but unfortunately they’ve had a number of these kind of things happen to them recently. Ever so often there will be a message alerting us to some type of phishing activity on the home page of their website.

My account with them was compromised a while back, but it had nothing to do with any of these types of things as far as I know.

Yikes, these phising people (phishermen?) sure have figured out trickier ways to get people’s info.

6. MB Green says:

I got one and I haven’t had an account with them since 2003.

I got this too, not a customer though so it only made me snicker

8. Ben says:

I am not a parkview FCU member but i did receive a message
    “From: MsgID4_QB9SMK0G@v.w
    Park View FCU Alert: Your card has been Deactivated. Please contact us at 877-649-1737 to Activate your Card.”

9. I got one yesterday too. Also not a customer. Judging from the capitalization, the scammers must be German.

I just got it today! Not a customer of Park View FCU, but it looks like they haven’t stopped the spread of it yet. Any idea if the police have been notified of this?

11. Christa says:

Renee, my son is a police officer and a customer at Park View…so yes, they know. ;)

12. Christa says:

What I meant to say was that he received the text, so they know.

13. April says:

I received a text today and I’m not even a Park View FCU customer. Thought it appeared to be a scam and was going to notify the bank on Monday. I guess they already know about it.

14. I am a manager at Park View Federal Credit Union. Thanks to each of you who contacted the Credit Union to alert us that the text message phishing scam was happening. We were aware and have done all we can to remind members not to give out card information. Unfortunately, this “attack” is aimed at credit union members and bank customers across the country, and it isn’t new – here’s something from 12/29/08:
    Text Messaging Scam Resurfaces – Banks across the nation have reported an increase in a cell phone text-messaging scam. Consumers have reported receiving a text message on their cell phone that their credit card/debit card/cell phone service has or will be deactivated and they need to text back (or call a number and verify) account and PIN information. Of course if they do, they soon find their account has been hit by criminals. Consumers should file a police report and contact their cell phone provider.

As always, PVFCU reminds members: if in doubt, don’t give it out.

15. Libbie says:

Both myself and my husband have received these messages in the last couple weeks, and both of us again today.