Wonder: Downtown Needs, Gets Retail

Brent Finnegan -- October 15th, 2009

Jeremiah Jenkins, GM of Clementine, is on the team opening a skate/art/clothing store on Water Street downtown. There’s a story in today’s Breeze about Wonder Skate Culture.

“The next stop downtown needs to make is retail.”

The collaboration of ideas from all three men gave birth to Wonder Skate Culture, a new skate boutique on West Water Street due to open in the next week. Although not completely finished, colorful paintings, displays and stickers pump a strong artistic energy throughout the store embracing skate culture.

“Music and art have gotten pretty huge in skateboarding in the last few years. It’s a big community of creative people,” Hall said.

With apparel from brands such as RVCA, Comune and Emerica, both men and women can enjoy the warm atmosphere and the down-to-earth, knowledgeable staff that Wonder offers.

“We’re not just selling skateboards,” Jenkins said. “We’re into the skate culture, kind of clothes people wear and the collaboration of artists. And exposing people to a rad culture.”

Clementine Manager Brightens Downtown with Skate Shop

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “Wonder: Downtown Needs, Gets Retail”

1. Nicklaus Combs says:

mike HALL!

I have an idea for a retail store for downtown, but I don’t think they give broke people with personal debt business loans :)

Oops forgot to say good luck to them!

Very neat, I hope they have good success!

5. Tina says:

It’s great having all of the restaurants downtown, but I’m glad to hear about more shops coming in too. I wish them much success.

AMEN!

7. I have noticed a lot of skaters downtown lately. Hope the business does well and heralds the arrival of other cool niche businesses.

8. Jamie Smith says:

Is there such a thing as bad success?

9. Christa says:

I see that all the retail spaces at the Urban Exchange are all empty. Does anyone know if there might be something coming there soon?

10. Scott Rogers says:

No signed leases yet, but we’re working through the final details with several potential tenants. More news will be forthcoming once leases are signed.

11. Annie Layne says:

SOMEBODY PLEASE open a SHOE STORE. With cute shoes. That I can walk to on my lunch break.

The Yellow Button seems to have some, though I’m sure it’s more limited than you are looking for from a full shoe store. I’d personally like to see a men’s store with good shoes open something like Yellow Button for men.

13. Christa says:

I would love to see another Hallmark Card store again. Most of you wouldn’t remember that, but it was the busiest store downtown.

Oasis’ location right?