Gilbert Leaks Lesinski Mailer

Brent Finnegan -- October 26th, 2009

Gilbert_FBThe John Lesinski campaign is taking Del. Todd Gilbert to task for using his Facebook page to leak a Lesinski mailer before it was mailed. The Lesinski campaign wants to know how and where Gilbert got hold of the mailer.

From the Lesinski campaign’s press release:

The illicit information released by Gilbert was a photograph of one of Lesinski’s direct mail advertisements that had not yet been released to the public, along with specific information about when the item was to be delivered by the United States Postal Service. It is unclear whether Gilbert has obtained any other illicit materials regarding the Lesinski Campaign.

“No need to worry about how we got a picture of it in advance, we’re just good like that,” wrote Gilbert, referring to the direct mail advertisement.

This is egg on someone’s face. But whose?

8 Responses to “Gilbert Leaks Lesinski Mailer”

1. There’s a piece up on The Huffington Post about this today.

According a source within the Lesinski campaign, based on the timeline and circumstances, there were only two possibilities for how Gilbert got the mailer. The most likely scenario is that an employee of the mail house gave a copy to Gilbert or one of his associates. Another scenario is that a postal employee snatched the mailer from the sorting center just after it arrived . . .

Whether this case turns out to be a prank or statewide political espionage, one thing is for sure: as the Assistant Commonwealth Attorney (prosecutor), Gilbert should have known better. Those who commented on Gilbert’s Facebook post also should have known better, especially the legislator (Virginia Delegate Matt Lohr, R-26) and Washington DC reporter (Jennifer Ann Wishon, Christian Broadcasting Network News) who posted supportive comments. In all, about 30 people posted comments, none of which were critical or questioning of the ethical violation. Ironically one user posted, “…I learned yesterday even bad publicity can be good…”

2. the Cubster says:

I posted this elsewhere but I am really concerned with this behavior! I looked on Delegate Gilbert’s Facebook page and the Lesinski campaign wasn’t kidding! Gilbert actually is gloating about having received the information in a clandestine and/or possibly insidious manner.

I am think I can speak for all of the residents of Page County when I say that we are sick and tired of corruption in politics. If Todd Gilbert didn’t get this information in a morally questionable way, then I want him to explain himself. For right now, I will wait until he responds before I pass judgment. However, I think we deserve a straight answer from Delegate Gilbert.

Furthermore, I would normally dismiss this as a political ploy by the opposition, but he is actually bragging about the incident on his Facebook page! Why in the world would anyone do that?

Delegate Gilbert, respect the integrity of your office, and please respond to the public. Please don’t say this is a ploy by the opposition because you have seemingly incriminated yourself. Please, set it right.

3. Lowell Fulk says:

Hey Seth,
    I’d really be interested in hearing your thoughts on this issue.

4. BANDIT says:

Lowell, Do you remember the story of the snakes? They say they won’t bite you if you pick them up but,…….Please, refresh my memory.

5. Lowell Fulk says:

Do you mean the story about the man who found a rattlesnake that hadn’t found a place to hibernate and was too cold to move?

6. Will says:

I think what is even more scandalous is that back in the 1990s, Todd Gilbert use to be the lead singer for a band called “Masters of Reality”…and he denies it to this day, I don’t have a problem with a good Christian boy being in a hard rock band, but to deny it is just wrong. Take a look at the evidence if you don’t believe me:

7. You are mistaken Will. Masters of Reality frontman was Fester Adamms Jr., an odd guy famous for his on-stage stunts using electricity and stage lamps. He left the band abruptly during a tour in 1999 during an overnight stop in Winchester and was never seen again.

Back to the point, mail fraud!? Really? Isn’t he supposed to be intelligent if he’s going to represent Page County citizens. Seems to me that it’s not intelligent to brag about committing a felony either committed by him or for his benefit on Facebook.