Election Day Open Thread

Brent Finnegan -- November 3rd, 2009

The polls are open. What are you seeing at your polling location?

17 Responses to “Election Day Open Thread”

1. Kai says:

The Dem headquarters is bustling early, reporting good early turnout (6-7am) at Simms at least.

For Twitter users, use the #hburgeday09 hashtag to join the conversation, share updates, etc.

Turnout will be key today.

2. Folks on Twitter can also use the #hburgnews hashtag to talk about local election updates.

3. Kai says:

Thanks, Brent – I wasn’t sure if you wanted the sideblog filled with every update!

4. cook says:

[Here’s my letter to the DNR editor that didn’t make the cut. Apparently just not as well written as the smattering they managed to include over the past few days:]

Gene Hart would be an excellent legislator for the 26th District. He is a man of the highest character and possesses the skills and training to write, comprehend and improve proposed legislation. He recognizes that there are certain challenges that must be addressed rather than avoided, and he would represent the conservative-moderate views of the majority of our district well.

The incumbent is a good man with a good heart, but he has been a classic back bencher, following party bosses rather than leading efforts to solve real problems. He has accomplished little, and his silence on difficult issues like transportation and budget speaks loud and clear.

Based on his record over the past four years, we have no reason to believe our incumbent will start leading now. We have the rare opportunity to “trade up.” Please join me in voting for Gene Hart to represent us in Richmond.

5. Bell says:

here’s a dumb question, does anyone know how late the polls are open. the city website has every other possible bit of information except for times. trying to decide if i need to go on my lunch break or if i’ll have time after work.

6. linz says:

Polls close at 7pm.

7. Barnabas says:

I had the dilemna of deciding wether I would use the full two hours my employer will pay for voting. It took me 10 minutes to leave go vote and come back. I went right back to work. The line at the Augusta county government center was light but steady 10:30.

8. More people at Spotswood Elementary at 10:30 than I thought there might be, although certainly not as many as last year.

I was at Waterman around 9:30 and pretty surprised at the turnout. It was much busier than I expected.

10. Gee…I wonder how Jeff Mellott is doing with the story about Lohr receiving those $400 lump sum payments from several different county schools…

Guess that didn’t make the cut, either, Aaron.

11. Jen says:

I voted at Stone Spring around 1:00. No lines, less than 5 minutes total.
    It didn’t even look like the same place, compared to last year.

12. Jen,

My guess is that students are not turning out, and they went to Stone Spring by and large. There is the meme of the “new Obama supporters” not being energized to vote in this race, for whatever reason. Attitudes on the JMU campus have been reportedly very blase in general.

13. Josh says:

Just got home from Stone Spring (5:30pm). There was no wait for paper ballots and a small line for electronic voting. I voted paper and was # 950 or so.

17% of VA reporting: McDonnell 63%, Deeds 36%; Bolling 62%, Wagner 38%. Harrisonburg not reported yet.

Some days you eat the bear.