Health Care Vigil Held As Senate Drops Public Option

Brent Finnegan -- December 9th, 2009

health-care-vigil-1Supporters of national health care reform that includes a “public option” huddled on the steps of the Harrisonburg court house yesterday evening, holding a candlelight vigil just as word leaked from Capitol Hill that the Democrats had compromised/caved on the government-run public option.

Today’s DNR reports, “Many at the vigil supported a government-run insurance option, often referred to as the public option. Some held signs stating: ‘Public option now. We can’t afford to wait.'”

Last night, TV3 reported:

“The public option has been scaled back so it’s almost meaningless now anyway. It’s very unfortunate,” says Timothy Jost, an organizer of the Harrisonburg vigil and a law professor at Washington & Lee. “When people keep talking about how there’s not cost control in the bill, there it was, but it was taken out.”

The U.S. Senate is still considering a privately run, government supervised “public option alternative,” which is not public at all.

UPDATE 4:55: I’m including video shot last night by Bruce Lundeen.

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Health Care Vigil Held As Senate Drops Public Option”

1. It’s frustrating to feel helpless in the face of powerful interests.

2. A friend of mine summed it up on Twitter yesterday: “Someone should start selling ‘I helped give the Democrats a super-majority and all I got was this troop surge’ t-shirts.”

3. republitarian says:

That’s really funny, Brent.

I’m glad to see it go down and I hope the rest of it follows suit…….

4. republitarian says:

I guess standing around with lighted candles doesn’t help you get your way.

5. I updated the post with a video shot and edited by Bruce Lundeen.

I’m really bothered they couldn’t keep the public option.

7. Lowell Fulk says:

Just remember Renee, keep moving the ball down field…

8. BANDIT says:

Hey Lowell!!! Pass it to me….I’m open.

9. Lowell Fulk says:

Okay Bandit, fake left then cut right and I will put the ball in your chest at the sideline. Step out of bounds when you catch the ball.

10. Lowell Fulk says:

If you can’t catch it, bat it down.

11. Lowell Fulk says:

If they get in your way, make it hurt, then they’ll think twice about getting in your way next time.

12. Lowell Fulk says:

And public option will come up again…

13. BANDIT says:

I know……

14. Lowell Fulk says:

Regarding the last comment, I wonder if the author will take the same tone with this?