Snowpocalypse ’09

Brent Finnegan -- December 18th, 2009

The first flakes have already begun to fall on Harrisonburg in what may shape up to be our biggest snowstorm of the year. The city is urging residents to avoid parking on the streets (virtually impossible in my neighborhood) in order to make room for snowplows, to avoid unnecessary travel, and to clear sidewalks.

according to Section 6-1-15 of the Code of the City of Harrisonburg, residents must clear snow from sidewalks in front or on the side of their home within three hours after precipitation stops falling, or by 10 a.m. the following morning for overnight storms.

Share with us what you are seeing this weekend as the snow accumulates, either in these comments, or by using the #hburgnews hashtag on Twitter. Share your pictures with us on Flickr by joining the group and adding your photos.

Tags: ,

31 Responses to “Snowpocalypse ’09”

1. Jeremy Aldrich says:

Just for reference’s sake, I looked up some previous big snowfalls. February 2003 brought us more than a foot of snow, and the 1996 blizzard was around 30 inches.

2. Thanh says:

I wanted to highlight another important note from the city’s press release regarding snow removal: “Citizens should shovel snow to the right side of their driveways (looking toward the street). This way, snowplows will not push already-shoveled snow back into your driveway.” Shoveling snow into the street that has already been plowed can also be a safety hazard to other motorists. Stay warm and safe everyone!

3. Deb SF says:

* * * Awesome title, Brent * * *

I remember the ‘9/96 storm- wasn’t that followed by a quick warm-up and and serious rains on top of 30 inches of snow? Downtown flooded, if memory serves. As did the basement of my house on Southampton.

4. I generally go home via Bruce Street, toward Reservoir, and couldn’t make it up the hill by the cemetery this evening. Several other drivers, both in front of and behind me, had the same problem. We all narrowly avoided a backward sliding pile-up at the bottom of the hill.

Weather.com alert is still saying up to 2 feet, spread pretty evenly from now through Saturday night.

haha “Snowpocalypse” is pretty good. Another I saw on Twitter was “SnOMG!”

7. Bubby’s Snowblower Service – Say no to socialized snow removal!

“Unlike VDOT, Bubby Hussein deserves your money”, Sen. Mark Obenshain.

8. Brooke says:

I remember the blizzard of ’96. I had this great picture of my car at my (then) boyfriend’s parents’ house and my little Nova was completely snowed in. It was wild.

9. Karl says:

Went out at 3 something this morning to shovel out and realized that would only get me out of the driveway and no further. Hate to admit it, but I had to work from home this morning. Good luck to those of you that have to brave the elements and get out there this morning.

10. Sarah says:

There’s a random car stuck at the bottom of my driveway, and I live on a secondary road (not a subdivision). Our street is completely impassable at 7am on Saturday.

I saw a small truck plowing out an apartment building across from me and the plows have been down my road. The nice guy upstairs cleared the first foot off my car already, but I’m not about to go anywhere.

No plows have come through here yet. I’ve been enjoying the wildlife that’s coming up onto my porch to get the crackers & seeds I threw out there :)

Doesn’t look like the snow is going to stop falling anytime soon!

13. larsen says:

During the ’96 blizzard (actually right after), our neighbors, the Hostetters, invited us over for grilled tuna steaks. Steve Hostetter trekked out to his shed and got the grill going, while his wife baked a delicious dish of scalloped potatoes. Then we burrowed over to their house for a very memorable meal. Good times!

14. Anne says:

Limited traffic on 81. No plows have been through our road. Enjoying the rare silence from traffic on 81.

15. NewHburger says:

Trekked from our neighborhood near the Bluestone side of JMU to the ISAT hill with 5 kids and a dog this morning. Needless to say by the time we got there the kids were too tired to go sledding. Fatherhood FAIL!

16. Sam Hottinger says:

Does anyone remember the blizzard of 93. I lived in Country Club Ct. I can’t remember how much snow we got, But I do remember that it was almost a week before we got shoveled out. Our townhouse door blew open during the first night of the storm and we had about a foot of snow in the living room when we got up. I don’t ever remember a storm like this in December, but one year, I think it was 1979 we had a massive ice storm in early October. The trees still had leaves and they broke all to pieces, and I had to walk 3 miles to school up hill both ways.

17. republitarian says:

It actually started in 93′. I was a senior at EMHS and we went to school just a few days in December and a few in January. The snow drifted like crazy and it took us days to dig out. To me, it was worse than 96′.

18. Brooke says:

I do remember that! I remember the start of spring semester was delayed, but I made my parents take me back to JMU anyway, because I was going nuts at home with all the kids. LOL

19. Deb SF says:

Seeing the first plow on Middlebrook @ 8:30 AM Sunday. We shoveled a bit last night; helped a neighbor dig out his car some, it took him a half-dozen tries to get up the street to home.

20. Ernie Didot says:

College Ave this a.m. a snowplow was tipping over (right wheels off the ground). A bulldozer had to come in and pull it out.

I drove from Park View to Dayton today and was amazed at how much better 42 was near Dayton. It’s very icy everywhere now though, so I hope people are being really careful.

22. Tina says:

Drove in tonight – Sunday – from the Amtrak station in Manassas. The interstates (66 & 81) were totally clear. East Market was mostly clear in spots; in bad shape in others. My street’s a mess! Can’t wait to get out in it, though (was away all weekend).

23. Josh says:

Looks like the roads are getting somewhat better:

I wonder how many residents were in violation of Section 6-1-15 today… :)

24. Lowell Fulk says:

Any condition updates at 7:14am? Our road is ice. Rural, west of Broadway.

25. Lowell Fulk says:

Patchy ice that is.

26. Jim T says:

Great title to this post, Brent! We had our fun back in Alexandria too.

27. seth says:

wintergreen was awesome. west coast was jealous of va this weekend.

28. seth says:

also,
    my mom told me that if you were out over the weekend and got stuck, you’d get a citation if you didn’t have 4wd/chains/snow tires/some other snow mitigating equipment. i think they (hpd?) were probably just saying that in order to further discourage people from being out, but it doesn’t really sound like the tickets would hold water to me. anyone know anything about this?

29. Thanh says:

If anyone is interested, the City of Harrisonburg has posted their snow plow & salt route map online at, http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/index.php?id=444.

30. BANDIT says:

Merry Christmas to all….and YES Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!