Taste Downtown – For a Week!

Renee -- March 6th, 2010

The annual “Taste of Downtown” event starts tomorrow, March 7, 2010, and goes on for a whole week this year (instead of just 3 days as it did in previous years), and includes sixteen participating downtown restaurants according to Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance.

Taste of Downtown is designed so you can visit several Harrisonburg eating establishments throughout the week and sample their fare at reduced rates or try special sampler meals created especially for the event.

This year’s meals range in price from a $4 lunch at Cuchi Guido’s to a $35 dinner with wine at Joshua Wilton House. An example lunch choice is an appetizer sampler, 1/2 sandwich, 1/2 salad, and beverage at Pennybacker’s for $7.49 and one dinner offering is an entree and signature cocktail at The Artful Dodger for $10.

The complete list of participating restaurants and meals can be found here.

Please share your Taste of Downtown experiences in the comments this week!

Image by radsaq on Flickr / CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Taste Downtown – For a Week!”

1. I think I might try to take advantage of the $20 Chop House deal.

If you eat 3 or more Taste of Downtown meals, you can enter to win a gift certificate:

I had the Pennybacker’s meal – it was great! I think they need to leave it on their regular menu, maybe adding in another sandwich choice.

I enjoyed the meal of appetizers, 1/2 salad, 1/2 sandwich and drink much more than the last time I went there and just got a big sandwich with tater tots.

The variety of flavors was really nice, and a great sampler of what Pennybacker’s has to offer.

4. NewHburger says:

I figured I’d take advantage of the Taste of Downtown deals and treat the family to some BBQ from Smokin’ Pig last night. However, I was a bit confused to find that the family meal “deal” they list on the Taste of Downtown flyer was actually $1.00 more than the family meal on their regular menu (there’s no difference in the meals). Luckily, they only charged me $18.99 instead of $19.99. I thought it was a bit shady though.

5. I went to the chop house. Had the bison burger, RyePA, and salad for $20. So good.

6. Susan says:

Found this review of the ‘Taste of Downtown’ Beyond offering. This blog also has a few other reviews of Harrisonburg restaurants.

7. Josh says:

I wish I had known about the 3 or more receipts thing from the beginning. Maybe next time they can have the little promotional cards serve a dual purpose and also serve as “passport” of sorts?

I attended these spots:

2x Pennybackers – A good deal, nice amount of food.

1x Cuchi Guidos – This deal sounded great: $4 for lunch? We were initially told that we could add one topping to our panzarotti, then later told that the waitress was mistaken and that if we wanted to do that there would be additional charge. I assumed additional charge meant a buck or two. It turned out to mean $4. Instead of a $4 panzarotti + soda lunch, it was $6.50 for regular priced panzarotti + $1.50 for soda I didn’t really want anyway for a grand total of $8. And honestly, it was kind of gross. If I ever go back I won’t be having that item.

1x Brooklyn’s – The deal was only a savings of $1 over regular prices so I ordered a schwarma which turned out to be a greek-style gyro (their menu has a “traditional persian” section). I had hoped for something similar to the awesome deliciousness I had at my college town’s lebanese restaurant and similar to the schwarmas I had while traveling in Africa.

1x Jack Brown’s – They included a $4 beer credit in the deal, so this was a nice savings over the regular prices.

Josh, I agree with you about the “passport” idea!

9. Olivia says:

I do not frequent downtown since I don’t work or live there and did not know about this. It would have been nice if the Taste of Downtown was advertised to other like me!

That’s what hburgnews is for :)