Harrisonburg Earth Week Events

Lindsay -- April 15th, 2010

Earth Day‘s 40th birthday is next week and local groups will be hosting an array of events beginning this Saturday, April 17th.  As promoted by the Harrisonburg Earth Week Coalition, “activities for all ages will take place all over town: movies, workshops, live performances, bird walks, scavenger hunts, and more.”

We welcome event attendees who want to guest blog about their experiences.  Please contact us, preferably in advance, if interested.

The calendar of events is below, but double check the event website for the most up-to-date schedule before you go.  Feel free to note additional events in the comments.

Saturday, April 17th

Sunday, April 18th

Monday, April 19th

• noon: The Shenandoah Mountain Proposal: Land Protection in the GW National Forest, with Carol Lena Miller, Clementine Cafe
  • 7:00 pm: Mountain Top Removal, with Judy Bonds of Coal Mountain River Watch, JMU Miller Hall
Tuesday, April 20th

Wednesday, April 21st

Thursday, April 22nd – HAPPY EARTH DAY!

Friday, April 23rd

Saturday, April 24th

• 7:00 am-1:00 pm: Harrisonburg Farmers Market, Local Foods
  • 8:00 am: Robins with Robyn: Birds for Beginners, Hillandale Park Shelter #12
  • 9:00 am: Gardening 101: Beginning Gardening, Harrisonburg Mennonite Church
  • 10:00 am: Invasive Plant Removal, with Tim Kreps, Purcell Park Shelter #2
  • 11:00 am: Aislamiento de la Casa Para Quienes Hablan Español y Quieren Ahorrar Dinero
    (Home Insulation in Spanish), Blue Nile
  • noon: World Stoves and Biochar Soils, with Erich Knight, Blue Nile
  • 1:00 pm: Reducing Home Energy Use, with Ben Meredith, Blue Nile
  • 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Rain date for Building Your Own Greenhouse workshop (April 17).

9 Responses to “Harrisonburg Earth Week Events”

1. Thanh says:

Registration for the Build Your Own Rain Barrel Workshop has been extended until all spots are filled! $40/barrel. Come build and take home your own beautiful rain barrel. Workshop is on Tuesday April 20 at 6:30pm. Register today! http://www.cleanstream.org

2. Cathy Strickler says:

Thank you all for speading the word on all the inspiring and useful events this week. One addition is ‘Saving Money While Saving the Planet’ with Charles Hendricks of the Gaines Group architecture firm. It’s at 2 pm this Sat. at the Blue Nile Restaurant. It follows Ben Meredith’s presentation which features money saving ideas, also. Ben did an energy audit for my husband and me and it was extremely helpful.

I love the rain barrels I made last year at one of the workshops Thanh spearheaded. In fact I just donated one to my mother for her garden, I might need to make a replacement.

4. We use our rain barrel almost everyday from April through the end of September. Highly recommended.

I’d be frightened to have Ben do an audit of my home, at some places you can see sunlight through the floor boards. Probably not the most well insulated home!

6. Cathy Strickler says:

I forgot to say that my husband attended a rain barrel workshop done by Thanh, too, and we’re enjoying using it and knowing we’re not only saving money but reducing the volume of water that is processed. We have it surrounded by lattice with storage underneath, very happy with the set up.

7. Lindsay says:

Thanks for the additions, Cathy and Thanh.

I also use our rain barrel from the workshop almost daily. Especially lately! :)

8. Cathy Strickler says:

If you already have a rain barrel, come to a movie tonight instead. At Clementine Cafe Earth Week will show ‘Belonging’ narated by Dustin Hoffman and at HHS the Ecology Club is showing ‘Garbage’. So kick back and soak it in (not the garbage).

Then, more fun. Plug in to the Trivia Team environmental theme at 9 pm at Clementine Cafe. Can you best the two JMU profs who wrote these stumpers? I’ve never done trivia team but I’m going to try. I hope there are prizes!

Yesterday it was mountains, two great presentations on how we need to love and protect them. Judy Bonds was great on coal. Carol Lena Miller is local and did an excellent presentation on getting federal protection for our own Shenandoah Mountain that I can see out my back windows. Ask her to present for your group, I learned a lot.

9. organic farms could actually save us from carcinogens and toxins~”-