Council Recap: Community health centers made tax exempt

Alex Sirney -- May 25th, 2010

Council unanimously approved granting two community health providers exemptions from the real estate and business taxes Tuesday night.

The Harrisonburg Community Health Center and the Harrisonburg Dental Clinic were both given the exemptions as non-profit organizations. They both provide low-cost, accessible health services to residents of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County.

The Harrisonburg Community Health Center saw nearly 3,000 patients last year in 9,025 visits and all of its patients were at or below 200 percent of the Federal poverty line, although the center provides services to anyone. The Harrisonburg Dental Clinic saw more than 1,100 patients in 3,773 visits and 70 percent were in the Medicaid program, with the other 30 percent paying themselves or receiving discounted services.

Tax revenue from both organizations was less than $4,000 in 2009.

Other notable actions:

  • Council approved 4-1 (Frank) a motion that would allow the Heritage Oaks golf course to accept 100 to 150 loads of topsoil with a stipulation that the cost to the city not exceed $10,000. Any money spent by the city would be in addition to the current or upcoming fiscal years’ budgets. Council had previously voted unanimously against accepting the topsoil, but attached the not-to-exceed stipulation and asked that staff develop a comprehensive plan for the golf course. The topsoil is intended to be used to develop a grass tee area for the driving range.
  • Council approved writing off delinquent utility accounts from 2008 for the Water and Sewer Authority, allowing them to be removed from accounts receivable and therefore from available sources of funding. The Authority’s collection service had deemed them uncollectible.
  • Council approved supplemental appropriations to the Harrisonburg Police Department including money for officer training, a replacement K9 dog and for chemicals used in the Village Lane unlawful assembly.

Council minutes are available at the city website, generally with some weeks of lag.

One Response to “Council Recap: Community health centers made tax exempt”

  1. JGFitzgerald says:

    The weeks of lag in the minutes being online traces, if memory serves, to the practice of not making the minutes publicly available until they’re approved by council at the next meeting. Obviously this could be solved by putting the video on line the next day.

Reader Tweets

Latest Flickr photos in the hburgnews Flickr pool
Announcements & Press Releases
  • Friendly City Grand Opening Set for July 9

    Friendly City Food Co-Op, Harrisonburg’s consumer-owned grocery, invites the community to come see its new destination for natural, organic and locally-produced products at the store’s grand opening 11 a.m.-5 p.m. July 9 at 150 East Wolfe Street.

  • Friendly City Becomes Member of National Cooperative Grocers Association

    HARRISONBURG, VA — Friendly City Food Co-op, slated to open this month in Harrisonburg, Va., has become the newest member of the National Cooperative Grocers Association (NCGA), a business services cooperative serving 120 consumer-owned food co-ops nationwide.

  • Harrisonburg Recognized as a Bike Friendly Community

    May 2: Harrisonburg was honored when the League of American Bicyclists announced the latest round of Bicycle Friendly Community (BFC) designations over the weekend to kick off May as National Bike Month.