Wilt Wins Special Election, Degner Carries City

Brent Finnegan -- June 15th, 2010

According to election results on SBE, Republican Tony Wilt swept the county vote 4,220 to 779, and will become the next delegate to represent the 26th House district.

Democratic Party candidate Kai Degner carried the city by a narrow 42-vote margin. Wilt carried three of the five city precincts.

District-wide, Wilt defeated Degner 65.79 to 29.94 percent, while independent candidate Carolyn Frank received 4.13 percent of the overall votes (392).

UPDATE: Delegate-elect Wilt reacts to tonight’s results:

Wilt campaign manager Peter Foster chimes in:

Wilt says that after being sworn in next Thursday, he will use Lohr’s office downtown and hire Lohr’s legislative aide Joel Hensley.

Video interviews by Jeremy Aldrich. Photo of Wilt by Holly Marcus.

Tags: ,

39 Responses to “Wilt Wins Special Election, Degner Carries City”

1. kuato says:

Well, this did not go the way I was hoping, but congrats to Wilt.

Well, we get to keep Kai as mayor then.

3. Sarah MacDonald says:

Not what I was hoping for either, but I want to say thank you to Brent, Jeremy, and all the rest of the hburgnews team for keeping us up to date throughout the day. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

• Renee says:

Yes, I agree – great coverage, hburgnews! Thanks for these follow-up interviews, too, Jeremy.

4. Dave Briggman says:

Yeah, you guys did a great job! Better coverage here than anywhere else in the area…

5. Thanks, Sarah and Dave.

I’m glad you appreciate our work, and I’m glad the election is over.

• Emmy says:

You all did do a great job.

I’m not happy with the results, but I’m VERY happy it’s all over.

6. peter says:

I smell voter fraud.

Wilt’s gonna be a horrible delegate.

• Frank J Witt says:

……such the good sport. I should expect nothing more.

• Ben says:

Peter,

I know Mrs. Obenshain and Mrs. Logan personally and can without a doubt vouch 110% that neither of them would ever consider doing anything which would call into question the integrity of any election with which they are involved.

I love how whenever the radicals can’t seize the chance to promote their agendas, they automatically cry “foul play”. It’s almost like it’s a conditioned response anymore…

Perhaps you had ought to take a look at the demographic with which you are attempting to represent; has it ever occurred to you that your style of politics and specific views/agendas DO NOT align with the majority of individuals within your district?

Draw back and reassess your own priorities and platforms before you just go on a rant about voter fraud or dirty politics.

If Mr. Wilt was not up to par, why didn’t you run, if you are so much better suited than he would be? So quick to judge, but so unwilling to learn.

7. republitarian says:

I don’t think Tony is going to be horrible. I think he has the potential to be a great delegate.

I also have been very impressed with the way you all at HBurgnews have covered things. I feel good knowing I’m leaving the local blog scene in good hands.

8. Joe says:

another pat on the back from me, you all did a great job covering the election!

9. Riled in Rockingham says:

Well, the results of this election show one thing: Virginians continue to be excellent at voting against their own interests. You can put a lot of lipstick on the winner, but…

10. Mom3 says:

This shows more clearly than anything else the divide between the city and the county. WHY should the county get to represent the interests of the city in issues such as trashing our water sources (hydro fracking), air (the proposed poultry parts processing), etc.? It’s clear the city residents have very different ideas about what is useful, good, and thinking forward, not backward.

• Riled in Rockingham says:

Because the city gets a portion of its water supply from the watershed that will be affected by hydrofracturing in the Bergton area, that’s why. And there is no wastewater treatment facility in the country that knows how to handle the toxic wastewater. That’s why.

• Lowell Fulk says:

I would invite you to continue the effort to make a difference on this issue, Riled in Rockingham.
        It is very important.

• seth says:

wmra is doing a program about hydraulic fracturing on science friday today (6/18/10)….not sure about the time, think it’s this afternoon.

and,

USA USA USA!!!!!

• Mom3 says:

You made my point. County residents like to talk trash about the city, consider themselves smugly in control, and seem to take great pride in their ignorance and bigotry. That they can control the destiny of city residents is just wrong.

• Lowell Fulk says:

I understand and appreciate what you’re saying Mom3. I’m trying to point out that in the 26th, the city wouldn’t be at the mercy of the county if if folks there simply participate more in the voting process. Same with those who hold a different view than the current voting majority. Staying home is the same as giving up one’s vote.

11. Brooke says:

Mom3 – Majority rules. It’s as simple as that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy about the outcome at all, but Wilt won, fair and square as far as I’m concerned. It’s not that the county gets to determine this or that. It’s the majority of voters. If the majority of the voters are in the county (compared to the city) and the majority of the county voters vote a certain way, then the majority has spoken.

• Mom3 says:

A majority would be if everyone voted and THEN someone was chose. Out of ALL county residents, those who voted for Wilt were NOT a majority. Also, representatives are supposed to be just that- represent everyone in their districts. The GOP has gone from just representing their own interests to selling them to the highest bidder which does not bode well for all the smug county residents and the future air and water poisoning coming down the road for EVERYONE.

• Brooke says:

Then those that didn’t vote needed to get off their lazy behind and voted!! If they didn’t vote they have NO, I repeat NO right to complain about lack of representation in their “interests.” Don’t get mad at those that came out and voted for Tony. Don’t get mad at the Republican party. Be mad at those majority you claim wouldn’t have voted for Tony IF they voted. They are who you can blame, if you have to blame anyone.

• Lowell Fulk says:

You’re a very good person Brooke.
          And you’re right in something you touched upon sometime back. Candidates need to motivate folks to vote FOR them, not so much AGAINST the other candidate. This is a lesson most campaigns never learn.

12. Lowell Fulk says:

Actually Brooke, the city holds a sleight majority of registered voters in the 26th District.

Voters in the county seem to be more dedicated to actually get up and go out to vote in higher percentages on a very consistent basis. And voters on the right of center in the Valley participate faithfully whereas voters on the left of center do not.

Right of center voters in the Valley support their candidates with patience and acceptance and loyalty. While there are many left of center voters who do the same for their candidates, there seem to be many as well who are easily put off.

Delegate Elect Wilt did indeed win election fair and square by a very decisive margin, and I wish him success in representing the interests of our area.

• Mom3 says:

Keep dreaming. His interests have little to do with any majority of human beings in the county.

13. Brooke says:

Ok, well then even more fair. If more people who supported Wilt get out and vote, then they deserve to win, whether I agree with the decision of not. If not enough Kai supporters (regardless of party affiliation) voted, I don’t get how it’s in any way “unfair.” (based on mom3’s logic…I know you don’t feel that way)

And because I feel your “easily put off” comment was somewhat directed at me, and my earlier statements during the election, yes, I voted, and I voted for Kai. :-)

As far as loyalty, there’s loyalty and then there’s blind following based on “R” or “D.” If someone is voting for the person because they know exactly what a candidate stands for, and truly agree with a majority of their stances, fine. I have no argument with that. None whatsoever. But anyone who votes primarily based on party loyalty (no matter the party) is someone who is not thinking for themselves. Our country is WAY to tied up in this two-party system. Elections really shouldn’t be about Democrats against Republicans. It shouldn’t be about which “team” wins. When it becomes about party loyalty and affiliation, we all LOSE. It should be about doing what we think is best for the citizens of the area the candidate will be representing (local, state, nation).

• Brooke says:

In other words, I didn’t vote for Kai because he’s the Democratic candidate. I voted for Kai, because of the three running, I felt he was the one I agree with more on the issues, and he was who I felt would do the best job.

I didn’t not vote for Wilt because he’s a Republican. I didn’t vote for Wilt because I just plain didn’t agree with his stances, with the way he flat out LIED in his literature, and because I just don’t feel he’s qualified.

• Lowell Fulk says:

“But anyone who votes primarily based on party loyalty (no matter the party) is someone who is not thinking for themselves. Our country is WAY to tied up in this two-party system. Elections really shouldn’t be about Democrats against Republicans. It shouldn’t be about which “team” wins. When it becomes about party loyalty and affiliation, we all LOSE. It should be about doing what we think is best for the citizens of the area the candidate will be representing (local, state, nation).”

I could not agree more Brooke.

Thank you.

14. Joe says:

at the end of the day, one thing is clear, more people should have written my name in.

• Ben says:

Please sir, quit belly-aching about the outcome of the election; the people have spoken, and you were not their candidate of choice.

• nicklaus combs says:

i’m now officially complaining about you complaining about people complaining. now who’s complaining?

I intend to complain until my representatives represent me

16. BANDIT says:

Hydrofracking…is it possible to vote on it? The people in the 26Th district could decide.

• republitarian says:

I’ll break a little news here.

If the vote on the BOS were held today it would be 5-0 against hydrofracking. They have until the next session to take it off the table and vote on it. They may do this to take a public stand.

The state government, regardless of what the BOS does, can do what they want.

17. BANDIT says:

Thanks Repub for the info.

18. Not possible…we don’t have citizen referendum voting in the Commonwealth. Pablo Cuevas is the only Supervisor who can “untable” the matter of the special use permit…if he does or he doesn’t untable the matter, Wilt has already stated he WOULD carry legislation for hydrofracking.

19. Paul says:

I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired…. : \