Harrisonburg Best Buy Opening Friday

Brent Finnegan -- June 25th, 2010

Consumer electronics retailer Best Buy is slated to open their doors in Harrisonburg today (Friday, June 25) at 9:30 a.m.

The Richfield, Minnesota based chain has been renovating the space in the Harrisonburg Crossing shopping center left vacant by Circuit City last year.

Tags:

20 Responses to “Harrisonburg Best Buy Opening Friday”

1. John says:

Finally!

2. Jason says:

I wonder if they understand that most of Harrisonburg’s disposable income isn’t in town for a few months? I bet they close before the kids get back.

• Jeremy Aldrich says:

Harrisonburg does just fine economically in the summers. We are the commercial center for the surrounding counties (Augusta, Rockingham, Page, Shenandoah, and Pendleton) and JMU students are just one piece of our economic puzzle.

It will be nice to have a Best Buy in the area. Still would like to have the following closer by: Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Carraba’s (even better than Olive Garden), Pei Wei, and a real Apple store. Will this Best Buy have an Apple section like the one in Charlottesville?

• Now this is a tangent: Do you think the co-op can co-exist in a town this size with Whole Foods and/or a Trader Joe’s?

I don’t.

• Josh says:

A colleague attended a Best Buy preview event and reports they don’t have an Apple section like Cville.

I’m with Brent. I don’t think this area can support any of those places.

• Having once been an Apple authorized reseller the process takes 3-6 months…given the JMU and Blue Ridge Mac are already in the market, Apple may not wish to authorize this store…although the manager told me that they are seeking authorization for THIS store.

Nice store…it was worth a little over an hour of my time this morning for $20.

• Jeremy Aldrich says:

JMU is a reasonable option for Apple products, but Blue Ridge Mac has some of the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced.

In my mind, Best Buy is several notches above Circuit City in presentation, selection, and value. I hope it will do well.

On the co-op thing, Martin’s is okay, but living near EMU means I rarely go there to shop for groceries. We are members of the FCFC, but I’m not too hopeful they’ll actually be able to replace Food Lion for our typical grocery shopping.

• I could tell you why they have customer service problems, Jeremy, but I’ll pass…the only legal actions I prefer to be involved in would be those I initiate…and while I know the reason and got that reason directly from the owner, I don’t really feel free to disclose it in a public forum.

• Lindsay says:

Well, I got my bad customer service experience directly from the owner’s nasty disposition.

3. John says:

Good call on the Carraba’s! I use to shop regularly at the Whole Foods in C-ville but after all those insane comments from their CEO, I stopped. Between the organic section in Martin’s, our local farmer’s markets and Kate’s Natural Foods, I think HB offers a good selection of quality, healthy products.

4. John says:

Agreed. We need the Friendly City Co-op more than we need Whole Foods.

Best Buy isn’t a place I’ll shop at often, but it will be nice to have it close for the online deals that are better when you can have the item shipped to the store. I think I was in Circuit City a grand total of three times, but I think Best Buy will do fine here.

I used to really want a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, but now that we’re getting the co-op I hope they stay away.

6. John says:

Best Buy will certainly be better than Wally World.

Someone was telling me they were reading a Consumer Reports article about the best and worst stores for electronics and Best Buy was at the top of the worst list. I believe Costco was near the top of the best list. Now, I can’t vouch for the validity of that, but if someone else read it maybe they can comment.

• John says:

The problem with Costco is that their electronic inventory and variety is extremely limited. Also, they have no consistency. Often you need to buy that item now because they may not sell it again.

• eso says:

Emmy:
      Costco was rated top overall – not specifically in electronics.

Best Buy wasn’t individually scored, but mentioned in “Large Appliances” section ( ie: refrigerators,etc) as having sales staff who were not knowledgeable about the products.

8. Kim Kommando was commenting how, with respect to computer technology, you’re not always getting the “Best Buy”, pricewise, when you buy there.

• John says:

That’s because most of the mega-retailers now use the Wal-Mart model whereby they hyper-promote low prices (which usually apply to only a few items) but offer most other products at a much larger profit. This model relies on the fact that most people who go into a mega-store intending to purchase only 1 or 2 items, often end up buying much more. Sociologists have studied this phenomena for years. They have also done price studies comparing Wal-Mart’s prices to those of other retailers and have found that overall, Wal-Mart’s prices are not significantly lower than other stores. They just have a much better marketing scheme.

I’m happy to have a Best Buy for last-minute gifts and “emergency” purchases even though I buy most of my electronics and movies online. Also, I hear they’re offering pre-ordering of the latest Droid phone.

10. eso says:

This article isn’t showing up on the home page for me ….