Crosswalk Painting Week of August 9

Press Release -- August 5th, 2010

Expect a few lane closures at certain intersections near JMU and EMU next week, due to crosswalk painting. The city office sent out this release Thursday afternoon:

Pavement printing for crosswalks in five intersections in the City of Harrisonburg will begin Monday, August 9, 2010 and run through Friday, August 13, 2010.

In order to improve pedestrian safety around James Madison and Eastern Mennonite Universities, the city will be marking or remarking crosswalks. The projects in the area around JMU will be funded by the university in full and the crosswalks in the vicinity of EMU will be funded in part by that school.

On August 9 work will begin at the intersection of Warsaw and Main Streets. This intersection will take two days to complete and will require lane closings. There will be traffic direction in this area, but motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes when possible.

Additionally, CW Railroad will be upgrading a railroad crossing at Stone Spring Road and Valley Blox over night beginning Monday evening at seven and completing by seven on Tuesday morning. This project will require Stone Spring Road to be closed in this area.

On August 11, crews will begin marking at the intersection of Grace and Main Streets. This work will take two days as well and involve lane closings. Motorists are again encouraged to use alternate traffic routes.

Finally, on August 13 the intersection of Park Road and Parkwood Drive will have a crosswalk marked and a pedestrian crossing will be added crossing Park Road as well.

All projects will begin at approximately seven in the morning and involve single lane closures with traffic direction. All lanes will reopen each day by seven in the evening in the area of JMU and by five in the afternoon in the vicinity of EMU.

Tags:

17 Responses to “Crosswalk Painting Week of August 9”

1. Speaking of crosswalks, people need to slooooow doooown on Water Street downtown. I almost got clipped by an SUV while crossing on the new crosswalk there.

What part of pedestrian right-of-way do you not understand?

2. Brooke says:

Not to mention the folks that barely slow down rounding the corner at Artful Dodger. There is a crosswalk AND a stop sign, people. Freakin’ use it. We watched 2 people in a row barrel around that corner last night, and IF They slow down, they do their rolling stop right on the crosswalk.

I’ve always been tempted to carry a handful of those tacks you see in Batman movies. I dive out of the way of the car and toss the tacks. I’m sure I’d be the one to get in trouble though and I have no interest in buying a new set of tires for a jerk who almost ran me over.

• Scott says:

David, that’s what the grappling hook is for… a nice clean getaway.

• David Miller says:

Ha, I can only imagine how extensive my injuries would be if I ever got the notion to use a grappling hook.

This thread is a good reminder of how little drivers actually know about the laws.

-Weekly I enjoy getting cussed out for riding in the road on my bike. I don’t yield, I take the whole lane because getting passed by a car in the same lane is frightening and can be deadly but taking the whole lane really pisses some people off.
    -I constantly see pedestrians waiting on cars to speed on by.
    -No one remembers that left on red off of a 1-way onto a 1-way is legal (Water-Liberty, Liberty Bruce, Bruce-Main)!
    -Stopping distance is extremely important. If your one of the million tailgaters out there, shame on you!
    -Passing people in town is stupid, the lights catch you every-time and the people who are guilty of this are the most reckless, usually, because they’re in such a rush they ignore safety.

There, I feel better :)

• elle says:

I’ve noticed a number of things concerning/irritating in the last few weeks: joggers who use the road when there are good, flat sidewalks right beside them, bicyclists weaving in and out of traffic (frustrating for those of us who do try to obey traffic laws), pedestrians who cross at crosswalks even when there’s a red light in the direction they’re crossing and so end up in the middle of traffic, an SUV passing me on my bike and then making a right-hand turn right in front of me and cutting me off. (There, I feel better now, too.) I know I’ve certainly been guilty of at least one hasty/reckless driving act this summer so I don’t want to get too high on my horse, but I wonder if part of the solution is using driver’s ed to do some broad education about how bicyclists, pedestrians and autos can and should all the road. Same for defensive driving courses or when people want to get points off their driving records. That way even those who never use anything other than a vehicle at least have some exposure to how vulnerable it can feel to be a bicyclist or pedestrian.

5. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t seem to be a problem at Harrisonburg Crossing or on JMU campus. Also not a problem I’ve observed in Charlottesville — lots of crosswalks there.

What is it about downtown Harrisonburg that makes people ignore crosswalks?

I just wonder what it’s going to take to change that. Does someone need to get hit before it’s enforced?

• David Miller says:

Unfortunately you are probably pretty right about what it will take for people to start yielding.

• The opposite problem exists at Harrisonburg Crossing…that is, you have drivers stopping at EVERY crosswalk, even when there are no pedestrians in or near it.

• Renee says:

I think the problem with downtown his that a major highway goes through it, and people tend to be in a hurry when trying to get across town via 33. When you’re traveling fast on 33 coming from either side, then have to go through the bottleneck around court square, it’s a mental shift. Also, people use Water St. to bypass court square, so they’re still trying to go fast.

A couple days ago I got stuck for probably 10 minutes when a large semi was trying to back into the Rosetta stone loading dock and blocking traffic both ways, and there was construction going on there which complicated things, then a train came through at the same time. I try to avoid downtown altogether when I’m in a hurry.

Maybe we need a tunnel under downtown for thru-traffic? :)

6. JohnLL says:

Dave, you raise an interesting question. Those are stop signs in Harrisonburg Crossing, not just crosswalks. Should cars be stopping at each one because of the stop sign? JLL

• Tad says:

Yes. I have contacted the company that owns the property. Cars are supposed to stop at each and every stop sign which by the way I do and nearly all others do not. Since it is private property the property owner is responsible for enforcement or in this case no enforcement. Hopefully no one will be killed in this parking lot.

• The answer is NO as it is contrary to Virginia law. The people who manage Harrisonburg Crossing are as stupid as the people who designed the project.

• JohnLL says:

Help me with this, Dave, as I have no knowledge in this area. What is contrary to Virginia law? I’ll avoid any statements as to the mental capacity of the owners/managers, but I’d love to know. That parking lot seems poorly designed, in my opinion. JLL

7. JohnLL says:

That’s what I was thinking, Tad, and I stop at each one, too. At the very least it allows other cars to exist those narrow rows easier. JLL