DebSF -- October 9th, 2010
A few additional local news items from this past week:
- WHSV reports on a $2 million grant heading to the Harrisonburg Community Health Center from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to increase capacity at the community health center.
- According to AFP, the 44th annual Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale held last weekend was a great success, raising over $280,00 for the worldwide relief and service program of Mennonite Central Committee and topping last year’s totals.
- From 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 Noon on Tuesday, October 26th, the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Association of Realtors, in cooperation with Ver Standig Broadcasting, will host a Harrisonburg City Council Candidates Forum at the Spotswood Country Club. It is open to the public, compliments of HRA. The forum will be broadcast live on WSVA; anchor Jim Britt will serve as moderator. The public will also have an opportunity to submit written questions for the candidates by sending them in advance to www.HRAR.com.
- Very nice piece in the News Leader on downtown Hburg restaurant Union Station.
- The holiday season is coming, and WHSV reports that downtown stores are getting ready, with workshops and plans for cooperative ventures.
- If you’re not yet ready to think about Thanksgiving and Christmas, Hannuka and Kwanza, HDR’s popular Haunted Harrisonburg walking tour will be offered nearly 20 times this October, almost doubling the number from last year.
Photo by Randy Lowery, from the Hburg News Flicker Pool
What did we miss? What’s happening in your neighborhood?
What do you want to discuss? Consider this an open thread.