Sheriff Farley To Retire

Brent Finnegan -- November 12th, 2010

Friday morning, Rockingham County Sheriff Don Farley officially announced his plans to retire from his position at the end of 2011.

“Over the past four terms, I believe the Sheriff’s Office has advanced with the times and has provided a professional service to the area,” Farley said in a prepared statement. “I feel it is time for another person to take the helm and continue leading the office in a positive direction.”

His current term expires December 31, 2011.

Tags:

27 Responses to “Sheriff Farley To Retire”

1. Christa says:

I think I called this a year ago.

2. republitarian says:

A year and a half ago, I did a post about how Don may not serve out his term in order to appoint C.M.Hess as his replacement so Hess could run as the incumbent.

Well, Don said that what I posted was completely false and that that was not going to happen…..

I’ve also heard from several sources that this retirement is partly to make an “issue” go away….

• Dave Briggman says:

I don’t believe Farley can appoint a replacement. I believe the Circuit Court may, however, I think the better bet is that a special election will be called.

3. Dave Briggman says:

I think this statute controls what happen after he resigns/retires:

• cook says:

Next page over, Dave. Section 24.2-228.1 was enacted in 2000 specifically for constitutional officers. That section requires a special election “propmtly” after the retirement.

• Excellent, thanks Aaron…at least we won’t get an appointed one…

Wait a minute…wasn’t there an appointed Sheriff in Page, after Presgraves was taken out, like when Jeff was appointed Treasurer after Beck Neal was removed?

4. cook says:

The final sentence of the post above should be corrected to state: “His current term expires December 31, 2011.”

5. republitarian says:

After reading the DNR’s corrected story, I am glad to see that Don didn’t make us have a special election and will serve out his term.

6. John Elledge says:

But it appears the GOP fix is in for the party’s nominee to replace him as the lemmings pour over the courthouse steps this morning.

I like Don and I’m sorry to see him go. I was one of those people at the courthouse this morning to support Kurt Boshart. I may be a flaming liberal, but Kurt is a good man and he will make a great Sheriff.

• Ross says:

Boshart already has signs just three days after Farley announces he will step down? Hmmm

• Emmy says:

Do you find that odd? I would suspect he knew before the formal announcement was made by Farley. I think anyone who has lived here for any length of time knew that he would run as soon as Farley retired. It’s no great shock to most people.

• Emmy says:

Not to mention simple black and white signs don’t require a lot of effort, especially when the person who does all the Republican signs in the area owns his own sign company.

• Brooke says:

I wasn’t surprised, either, Emmy. It made perfect sense to me.

• When I saw some of the pics from the courthouse announcement, I was amazed at how many of the local Republican officeholders were on the steps with Lt. Boshart: Obenshain, Garst, Evans-Haywood, Barb, Mendez, Coffman, and (I think, but her head was turned in all the photos) Wilson. Looks like he has his party’s nomination pretty well in hand!

Good grief, it’s not THAT big of an announcement. I really hope I just missed the sarcasm in your typing.