Brent Finnegan -- January 14th, 2011
Since 2006, hburgnews.com has broken stories, helped to educate voters, fostered discussions, and filled gaps in local news coverage. Although we offer underwriter spaces to help pay for operating costs, no writer for hburgnews.com has ever been paid for the work we do. Because we maintain the site on a volunteer basis, we haven’t been able to do very much original or investigative reporting.
We will continue to operate on a volunteer basis to update the site, but in order to pay reporters for their original work, we are calling on you, the readers, for your financial support.
hburgnews.com is now an approved publisher on spot.us, a non-profit organization created to connect readers, journalists and news organizations, and raise money for special local reporting projects. The spot.us model will allow us to publish the stories you help to fund. Contributions to spot.us are tax-deductible.
The first thing we need from you is a list of the stories you’d like to see published here.
• What is under-reported, mis-reported or goes altogether un-reported in Harrisonburg?
• What angle should be investigated more closely in regards to local environmental reporting?
• Is there an amazing local historical event that hasn’t been told yet?
• How about paying a reporter to submit FOIA requests and write a report?
• What is the local news media missing?
Once we hear from you, we will launch our first fundraising campaign on spot.us. The success of this civic experiment depends entirely on you, the hburgnews community.