Dance Move Fridays

Brent Finnegan -- January 21st, 2011

Kendall New, the creator of a video that’s been shared around the Harrisonburg interwebs lately, has been uploading unofficial dance move tutorials to YouTube for a few months. New and his friend, fellow JMU senior Isaac Hulvey, aren’t part of any dance class or group, and have had no official dance training. But once a week, they post a dance video online, which they call Dance Move Fridays.

New writes:

Dance Move Fridays is something that I started purely for fun. I always try to make up more ridiculous and funny dance moves at dances and social functions. One day I posted a video of a move that I called the “elbow dance” (recently featured on Dance Move Fridays) on Isaac, my counterpart’s Facebook wall. It got more laughs and comments than I expected, so I thought about what i could do to take that idea to the next level. I asked Isaac if he would want to join me in posting a comedic dance tutorial every Friday, and he was excited and willing to join in.

Skip to 3:15 in this video to see the springhouse dances.

We don’t really have any huge plans for the future of it, but we still love making the videos and will continue to do so until we graduate. We anticipate another outdoors video in Harrisonburg when it gets warmer, and we may be able to continue the saga if Isaac and I live close to each other next year.

Hulvey adds, “Dance has always been something that I enjoyed because it was an opportunity to step outside the social “norm” for a while to be ridiculous and have fun. Our Dance Move Fridays videos have just been an extension of that fun and ridiculousness. It’s also fun to help people break out of their shells and experience how fun dance can be.”

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Dance Move Fridays”

Love it! The world needs more people who don’t mind acting a little silly and having some harmless fun!

2. Annie Layne says:

I call a dance off with Heather Bowser.

3. The Bernie at 5:56 is great.

4. Elizabeth says:

These two guys are the greatest, and they are doing a public service in teaching guys to dance! ! Please give us more!

5. Lowell Fulk says:

How fun, thanks for the story Brent.

6. Grant says:

You guys are awesome.

7. Brooke says:

Brilliant!!

Thanks for featuring them here! So fun :)

9. Kendall New says:

The Dance Move Fridays Finale has been posted. It is once again set in historic downtown harrisonburg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NItRfcK2o0