Macado’s Coming To Harrisonburg

Brent Finnegan -- January 30th, 2011

A regional restaurant chain popular in southwestern Virginia is expected to open a location behind the Valley Mall sometime this fall.

In Friday’s Daily News-Record, Doug Manners reported that Macado’s “will fill a vacancy left on Deyerle Avenue by The Pub.”

Demolition work began inside the former Pub location this month. When completed, the space will seat at least 225 patrons and could include an outdoor patio, [Kevin Clark, operations manager for Macado's] said.

Manners also reported that Roland “Spanky” Macher, who owned Spanky’s in downtown Harrisonburg until it closed in 2005, has no involvement with Macado’s. Richard Macher, owner of Macado’s, is Spanky’s brother.

In 2005 The Roanoke Times reported (in a detailed account of how Spanky’s went out of business) that “Spanky Macher has been long estranged from Richard Macher [...] his brother and former business associate.” Spanky’s and Macado’s split in 1992.

Tags:

43 Responses to “Macado’s Coming To Harrisonburg”

I’m so excited about this!

2. blondiesez says:

Why?

• mark says:

This is a VERY big mistake for the people of H’burg. It is an awful company and they treat their people like garbage!!!!!!

2 likes

Does it matter?

I miss Spanky’s and would love to have a similar place here again.

2 likes

• blondiesez says:

That’s why I was asking. Having lived in Roanoke for a decade, I think it’s okay but not anything to go out of your way for. However, I know I’m in the minority with that opinion. :-)

4. Amanda says:

Hooray I miss my Bobagger!!

5. Alison says:

Hmm…I guess that means Macado’s in Staunton is not happening anytime soon.

0 likes

• Staunton doesn’t have a JMU or a Tech or a Radford. Aren’t Macado’s restaurants mostly in college towns?

• blondiesez says:

You do tend to find them most in college towns, but that’s not exclusively the case. The original is in downtown Roanoke.

Last I heard, they were still renovating the old Pullman space for the Staunton location.

• Alison says:

Yeah, the news about the Pullman renovation made a big splash, but I haven’t seen much, if any, progress on the building. The bridge project, and now this Hburg location, probably eclipsed it. Oh well, I’d go to either one. Nice to see the former Dukerz space being used.

6. Tina says:

When I was in college, Spanky’s was a fun place to go, with good food (and drinks!). I miss it still, but hopefully Macado’s will be similar.

• josette says:

I miss Spanky’s! I am so excited that Macado’s is coming to H’burg, their food is wonderful and the atmosphere is awesome! Hooray for the Macher’s bringing back the best subs on the east coast!

7. Brooke says:

Macado’s will be better!!

8. Danielle says:

It’s good to know the owner of the former Spanky’s is not involved. That speaks wonders to me…I will never forget sitting at the bar, looking into the kitchen and seeing one kitchen employee sneeze into his ungloved hand then continuing to cook followed shortly by a coworker who dropped a chicken breast on the floor then put it back on the grill. I cancelled my lunch order and never went back.

• Ross says:

Danielle, that reminds me of a similar story. My Dad just loves donuts and went into a Dunkin Donuts one day and here comes a male worker out of the back licking his fingers and asks, “May I help you sir?” My Dad says, “No thank you, I changed my mind.”

9. Ross says:

Almost ALL restaurants have cockroaches. They have been around for 350 million to 400 million years now.

10. Myron Rhodes says:

More like 6,000…..

11. Danielle says:

Who said anything about cockroaches???

12. Ross says:

Myron,
    If you google or go to ask.com you will find the same answer I got. Just ask how long have cockroaches been around.

0 likes

• I think Myron is referring to when God invented cockroaches 6,000 years ago in the Garden of Eden (just east of the lost city of Aquarius). He invented them right around the time snakes walked the earth upright, and just before he came up with the idea of sweat for men and labor pain for women.

Those were the days.

2 likes

13. newcomer says:

I wish this would be Downtown instead of in Big Box Square. Seems frightening to have a college hangout — with drinks — in an unwalkable location…

0 likes

14. Just out of curiosity, Myron, since you seem to take Genesis seriously as stating facts, just when did God create people: on the sixth day when He created both man and woman “in the image of God,” or did He wait until resting on the seventh day and then create Adam first but Eve only later out of Adam’s rib? Both accounts are in there.

• Bubby Hussein, Hillbilly Sheikh says:

I thought everyone knew how this went down Professor:

Yahweh was in his workshop creating wondrous things, cobbled together Man, stepped back, took a look, and said,”I can do better than that”, and created Woman. Amen.

So both accounts are correct, it’s just a process improvement detail.

15. Danielle says:

Where is there an explanation of exactly how long His “days” actually were??

• Bubby Hussein, Hillbilly Sheikh says:

Yahweh exceeds explanation. A fact which has spawned a flourishing religion industrial complex populated by spiritual guides and franchises of greatly variable competence, and no quality control. Even the term He or His is false. Such is our inadequacy.

16. Dave Briggman says:

I don’t think the former owner of Spanky’s will be involved of much of anything soon:

1 likes

17. blondiesez says:

I love how the lawyer is arguing for a change of venue because ‘{Spanky] was often in the public eye. . . . It will be extremely difficult to find 12 people here who have not heard of [Spanky] and created a negative attitude about him.’

As opposed to, say, all the people who actually had dealings with the guy who then EARNED the negative attitude about him . . . .

18. rmkevan says:

Macado’s is a great restaurant, especially in a college town! I am excited to have another venue for good food and drinks in Harrisonburg.

19. harper says:

Have about 15 Spankys/Macados parfait glasses. Anyone interested?

20. Helena says:

I absolutely love Macados! I will be thrilled if they open up here in h-burg. They have the most amazing sandwiches and desserts ever!!!

21. juice says:

Does this place have live bands

22. ObesityKillz says:

I grew up in Salem and went to Macado’s all the time, then I went to Longwood University and Macado’s was the spot. I am now in graduate school at JMU and thrilled to have a Macado’s coming to town. In order for a restaurant to be successful it needs to be consistent and Macado’s is just that. They have great service, food, drinks. The food and drink specials are hard to beat as far as price and quality. The service is great and the atmosphere is relaxed and perfect for a college town. Give it a chance, you will not be disappointed and I am sure it will become one of your favorite places too.

2 likes

23. ObesityKillz says:

By the way, Salem used to have a Spanky’s as well. It was total garbage compared to Macado’s. I went there once back in the late 90′s and never went back.

24. Jason B says:

Oh, we all have eatery horror stories. Like the time I went to a local establishment, sat at the bar, and then watched the girl drop a glass into the ice cooler. Everyone heard it shatter. Unflustered, she continued to scoop ice into everyone’s drinks.

Ah well. I’m more perplexed by the time a few years before Spanky’s closed and my wife and I ordered a salad. We were told they had run out of lettuce. HOW DOES A RESTAURANT RUN OUT OF LETTUCE??

That said, I think Harrisonburg needs one or two kid-friendly eateries that are NOT places like McDonald’s or Chuck E. Cheese’s. Places like Rainforest Cafe, etc., etc., would make tons of money in this area.

• Daniel says:

I would agree. Nothing like sitting down at a nicer place with ill behaved kids running around and parents who think it’s fine. I think a Rainforset Cafe would be great! Harrisonburg can always use a new place that serves up processed foods to keep our kids weight in check.

1 likes